Let's admit it, we've all enjoyed shopping from fast fashion brands at some point in our lives. Getting a printed maxi dress for a much awaited holiday that doesn't break our bank has had its' perks for sure. However, like Lucy Siegle said, “Fast Fashion isn’t free. Someone, somewhere, is paying.” Be it by denying fair wages to garment workers, or by sourcing low-grade materials - the industry makes sure that the “affordability” of their products is taken care of.
With the advent of fast fashion giants like Zara, H&M, Uniqlo and more - we have become conditioned to the fact that fashion is supposed to be cheap. However, a garment which is made using sustainable practices can't be cheaper than buying a coffee! The prices of fast fashion pieces makes us wonder -
- How much were the garment workers paid?
- Were good quality materials used for production?
- Were the fabrics ethically sourced?
- and more. On the other side of the coin - some brands highly scale up their prices under the garb of "greenwashing", leaving the consumers confused and unsure of who to actually trust. The struggle is real, and we’re constantly working towards making it better, in the truest sense.
In order to make the continual shift from fast fashion to slow and upcycled fashion easier for all clients - we did a fashion and lifestyle rendition of conscious swaps. Similar price range, similar styles and colours, same trends, but as opposed to the fast fashion picks, the Refash pieces are ethically made, fully upcycled and better for your skin, conscience and the planet!
1. Nothing says classic and timeless like a crisp white shirt. The Candice Shirt (right) is a versatile, summertime staple made from poplin fabric that is ideal for both a work meeting as well as evening drinks with friends!
2. From hoarding LBDs to shifting to iconic Black Midis with High Slits, fashion really came a full circle. The Ivy Dress (right) will have you planning your next Europe trip in no time. With lace details and padded stitching, this dress is as effortless as it is stunning.
3. What is summer if not comfortable, flowy maxi dresses in bold colours that make heads turn? The Elisa Dress (right) with its scoop neck and abstract print and striking hues is reminiscent of happy days by the beach with a morning margarita in hand.
5. Bring the 60s jazz back with polka dots and slip dresses! The Bella Midi (right) comes with a drawstring on one side for the drape detail, a high slit and a frilled hem. The ideal fit for a girls night out or a dinner date with your beau!
6. A black handbag is an office essential, right? The keyboard detail makes this essential quite a sensation! The carefully crafted handbag features the keys of a computer keyboard in a panel in the middle. The perfect handbag for when you want to be busy in style, it is sure to be an interesting conversation starter.
8. If there’s one y2k comeback that has secured a place on the trend board its head scarves! Upcycled silk scarves in bright shades that can add a pop of colour to any outfit and make it a statement look - these look best when styled with sundresses or pantsuits.
9. A little box clutch to swing as you walk through the streets of a small town, meeting new people and exploring new experiences - Lyla (right) has got you covered!
10. Last, but never the least - the most convenient and hassle free trend of our times - fanny packs! If the effortless chic aesthetic had a favourite accessory, this would be it! The Ler Bag (right) can be styled in a multitude of ways. Pick your style!
This guide just goes on to show us all that there’s always a better way out, always a smarter choice you can make. It’s time we all joined hands to help the world heal and even as much as just one upcycled purchase goes a long way in doing that. Find all pieces on Refash.
Image Credit: Zara, H&M, Uniqlo, Refash
Feature Credit: Sanandita Ghanty